The Asociación Gitanas Feministas por la Diversidad leads the European project Schools of Inclusion in Diversity: Inclusion of Young Gypsy Women through Non-Formal Education which is funded within the European call ERASMUS + 2017, in action KA2 "Strategic partnerships in the field of youth. Exchange of good practices".
Young Romani women in Europe are facing multiple obstacles to their inclusion and emancipation, mainly gender, cultural and economic ones. Based on this context and in line with the actions of the EU and the Erasmus+ Programme which are aimed at promoting the inclusion of the Roma population in Europe, we have designed the project's objectives, some of which are worth mentioning:
- To promote the inclusion and training, through non-formal education, of young Romani women in order to reinforce their skills of entrepreneurship, initiative, critical analysis and empowerment.
- To encourage intercultural dialogue and strengthen knowledge and acceptance of diversity in society, preventing racism and intolerance among young people.
Para llevar a cabo estos ambiciosos objetivos se ha formado una asociación de organizaciones de diferentes países de Europa que trabajan de forma activa y tienen experiencia específicamente en el campo de la inclusión de las mujeres jóvenes gitanas, estas son: LA ASOCIACIÓN DE GITANAS FEMINISTAS POR LA DIVERSIDAD (España), RIBALTAMBIÇÃO (Portugal), E-ROMNJA y EL CENTRO DE ROMA AMARE RROMENTZA (Rumanía).
As a result of the collaboration of these four organisations within the project, we expect them to devise some very relevant findings to facilitate the inclusion of young Romani women. The participating organisations will carry out a multitude of activities, in which young Romani women from different countries will be involved.
Finally, it should be noted that the impact of this project is expected to be significant, especially at the local and regional level where dozens of young Roma women have been directly involved, and who by the end of the project will have overcome many obstacles. In the long term this project will be the basis for the creation of the Schools of Inclusion in Diversity, which will reinforce the Web Platform for inclusion, with physical spaces where face-to-face training will be given to promote the inclusion of young Romani women through non-formal education.
All these activities and results of the project will be based on a participative methodology centred on non-formal and informal education, with the aim of making the learning process attractive and motivating the participants, involving them in their own learning process and promoting peer learning, in addition to the fact that the young Romany women themselves are the main protagonists of the project, and that they are the ones who design and elaborate the training materials and manage the whole project.
The main result of this project is the "WEB PLATFORM: INCLUSION IN DIVERSITY". It is an online platform that will be a gateway to non-formal education for inclusion aimed specifically at young Romany women, in this we can find a multitude of training materials, a learning support service, a social awareness campaign to prevent racism. In addition this platform also serves as a channel of communication about the project and its results, putting a description of the Erasmus + program, as well as information about the progress of the project and also a guide of successful experiences in the inclusion of young Romany women, in addition, this platform will be the first step to create the Schools of Inclusion in Diversity, which in the future will also have face-to-face training.
Main project activities
M1: FIRST TRANSNATIONAL MEETING IN MADRID - SPAIN (May 2018)
On May 18 and 19, 2018 the first meeting was held in Madrid with the participation of two members from each of the partner entities. This meeting was specifically aimed at:
- PREPARATION OF THE DOCUMENTATION linked to the project and signed by the presidents. In this section, it is important to highlight the signing of the definitive agreements and framework agreements for the formalization of the strategic alliance.
- CREATION OF THE PROJECT. We defined the project's contents according to the calendar and completed the required activities for the elaboration of the results, including determining the materials, identifying the technical experts who collaborated with the project, and establishing non-formal and informal working methodologies. This also served to define the budgetary items and the control of expenditure in the subsequent phases.
- VISIBILITY OF THE PROJECT. Activities were carried out to improve the project's visibility, including the creation of the initiative's logo, agreeing on the project's visual image and specifying the characteristics of its website.
- STRENGTHENING RELATIONS BETWEEN PARTICIPANTS. Through work, but also through playful spaces where we generate bonds of friendship and get to know each other better. After a hard work session, we went out to Madrid to show them interesting places and to get them to know our city.
- EVALUATION OF THE PREPARATION STAGE AND THE TRAINING PROVIDED TO THE PARTICIPANTS.
Grupo de trabajo del Proyecto de Juventud en Madrid
M2: 2nd TM, BUCHAREST - ROMANIA (January 2018)
The second transnational meeting was held in Bucharest, Romania, and was attended by 2 leading members from each of the partner organisations. The following will be discussed at this meeting:
- INTELLECTUAL PRODUCTION: TRAINING COURSE TO ACCESS ADULT EDUCATION FOR ROMA WOMEN. This second meeting focused on coordinating the work to develop this project. Audiovisual educational resources were specifically addressed through the creation of an open training classroom, along with materials for literacy and self-development of Roma adult women who dropped out of school early, and the development of innovative tools, that will be part of the training course.
- TANGIBLE RESULT: THE METHODOLOGICAL GUIDE FOR WORKING WITH ADULT ROMA WOMEN. This meeting also served to work on the methodological guide as one of the main outcomes of the project: It will define, specify and distribute the specific roles of the partners.
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION OF THE PROJECT AND ITS RESULTS.
M3: THIRD TRANSNATIONAL MEETING IN BUCHAREST - ROMANIA
Se realizó en Bucarest (Rumanía) y en ella participaron los responsables de difusión y responsables del proyecto. Esta fue la última reunión por lo que se buscó evaluar lo que se había realizado y preparar la fase de difusión.
- EVALUATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION PHASE
- LEARNING WORKSHOPS ON NON-FORMAL METHODOLOGIES AND THE MANAGEMENT OF YOUTH GROUPS. Where the youth associations showed how to manage youth groups to the organisations that are currently forming them.
- PREPARATION OF THE DISTRIBUTION PHASE. Selection of propagating agents (media, political authorities...) and seeking to create meetings and activities that ensure the distribution and replication of materials.
- TO CONTINUE TO STRENGTHEN TIES BETWEEN THE PARTICIPANTS. We continue getting to know each other better and to discover the reality of the Romani woman in Bucharest and in Romania itself.